Proactive care of your trees is the best defence against storm damage. The Ottawa region is a harsh climate for trees and it is impossible to prevent all storm related tree damage. If you have trees that have been damaged by a storm, our experts can safely correct dangerous conditions and take action to maximize the health of your tree.
Damage to trees can have a lasting impact on your property and the surrounding landscape. High winds have the potential to tear trees apart and when combined with heavy rains and soils may become loose, causing trees to uproot and topple over. Lightning can cause the tree wood to splinter and bark to explode. Another common occurrence in our region is damage caused by the weight of ice and snow. When the forces of nature attack our trees the damage can be catastrophic.
What to do in the wake of a storm
Assess tree damage and know that if at least 50% of tree branches remain unbroken and a trees trunk remains sound that tree has a good chance of surviving. Take safety precautions consider there are potential hazards around trees. Hazards such as downed powerlines, direct or indirect contact can cause serious injury or even death.
Broken or hanging limbs can fall causing harm to people or property. Limbs under pressure can break causing heavy trees to shift. There are many hazards and a lot can go wrong.
Stay safe – have emergency work done by the trained professionals at Trillium Tree Experts.
Be proactive. Have the trained professionals at Trillium Tree Experts inspect your trees with an eye towards prevention. We can offer preventative care for young trees by pruning trees to improve form. We can identify and address branch, trunk and root defects, potential disease problems and offer corrective services.
Preventative services for mature trees may include corrective pruning for trees that have been improperly cared for in the past. Some less experienced tree service companies may have topped trees or ‘liontail pruned.’ Those types of pruning errors need to be corrected. Where necessary our professionals can recommend and install cables or rods to provide physical support of stems and branches. These supports will improve a trees strength and stability.
Tree Hazard checklist
At Trillium tree Experts we have created a tree hazard checklist. The checklist is a good resource for home owner and property managers.
- Are there large branches?
- Are there detached or hanging branches?
- Do trees have cavaties or rotten wood along the trunk or in major branches?
- Are there mushrooms present or near the tree?
- Are there cracks or splits in the trunk or where branches attach?
- Have branches fallen from trees?
- Have adjacent trees fallen over or died?
- Has the trunk developed a strong lean?
- Do major branches arise from one point on the trunk?
- Has there been root damage caused by soil leveling, installing of walkways or the digging of trenches?
- Has the site recently been changed by construction, raising the soil level, or installing lawns?
- Have leaves permanently developed an unusual size or colour?
- Have neighbouring trees been removed?
- Have trees been topped or heavily pruned?
If any of the listed conditions are present we can offer solutions which will make your trees and landscape safer. If you wish, a certified arborist from Trillium Tree Experts can inspect specific trees for you and provide a tree hazard evaluation. Contact us for an assessment.